Tuesday, July 26, 2011

When is this roller coaster going to have an upswing?

Ava is one week old today. It had definitely been one of the longest weeks of my life. This will probably be pretty short. I am emotionally very exhausted right now so I will do my best.

Ava stabalized on the SiPAP and has been doing much better on it with just a few episodes. This morning she had a head ultrasound to look at her brain and check for any bleeding or abnormalites. She also had an echocardiogram to look at her PDA and determine if it had closed or become smaller. I was praying for good news and unfortunately recieved quite the opposite. I just spoke to the doctor and the PDA is unchanged. Because of this, she will need to have surgery tomorrow. PDA surgery is relatively simple, but obviously it is surgery, on my two pound daugther. And of course she will have to be on a ventilator, which terrifies me.

The head ultrasound showed no bleeding, which is good, but it showed some bright areas on her brain. The doctor explained that this COULD be normal, or it COULD be and indication of Periventricular Leukomlacia. Basically this is damage to the white matter of the brain. The most common result of PVL is cerebral palsy and developmental delays. I am so scared for her brain but I know I have no control over that, and at this point we don't even know if she has it, her brain could be completely normal, and it's a good sign that there is no bleeding.

I am very overwhelmed with all of this right now and truly feel as if I cannot breathe. Please pray for my baby girl. Surgery will be tomorrow afternoon but I don't know what time yet. I will try to update as soon as I can after surgery tomorrow.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for you and Ava. Hughie also had the exact same head scan result when he was born. He now has very very mild CP, but youd never guess. He walks, runs, plays. Your children are miracles, she will pull through everything. God is good and will take care of you and Ava and your family. XOX.

rlbarlow said...

Sending many thoughts and prayers for you all!

Steph said...

Praying for you and baby Ava, I hope all goes well tomorrow, and the scans show everything is normal.


-Steph/Mumba JM Oct 11

Jessi said...

Praying!

samantha kuhnle said...

I am so worried for u and ur baby. I am praying that everything will work out for u and ur family. We used to b the bestiest of friends in elementary school and I know that things have changed but I just want u to know u will always b my best friend forever. Think positive no matter what and u will see everything work itself out. U call me anytime day or night no matter what its for I will always b here for u

Melinda said...

Ava is in my prayers.

Michelle Downs said...

Always praying for your sweet baby Ava. Love you Chelsea and you are in my prayers too!

Anonymous said...

I have your sweet baby on our prayer chain, and I pray for her every time she comes to mind...Jesus, protect and heal and grow this baby!

Joedee Robinson said...

Praying praying praying!
Rejoice in hope, patient in suffering and faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12

AKessler731 said...

Praying for you and Ava! I pray that God guides the dr's hands during her surgery today and I pray that she is strong enough to keep her self going and that God molds her brain into the perfect, most healthy brain possible. He worked a Miracle for Travis and HE WILL again for Ava. Your family is BLESSED. In Jesus' name, Amen!

Anonymous said...

I saw a post on facebook from a friend of a friend that told me of your baby Ava. I do not know you, but as a mother I feel an instant connection to you. I have been praying for your beautiful little girl and you and your family. I pray God will guide the doctors hand during the surgery and that you would feel the peace the surpasses all understanding. God Bless.
-Michelle Bailey

Anonymous said...

you don't know me...I'm a friend of Katie Ristow's but you have been on my heart all day. I am praying for you, your family and your beautiful daughter. May the God of all peace and hope rush over you and fill you with all that you need. Much hope to you.