Friday, September 9, 2011

Good News, Bad News

That's kinda how it goes in the NICU. You can never JUST move forward. You have to move forwards and then backwards a little before you can keep moving forwards.

Yesterday Ava DID reach 4lbs! YAY! She also got moved to an open air crib! I have pictures of that but I left my camera in the NICU last night so those will have to wait. They stopped her Dopram completely, but last night she began having apenic episodes again, so they restarted it at 2mg. I am trying really hard not to let this discourage me, but I won't lie, it's pretty upsetting. Mostly because I thought she was really better and no longer needed drugs to help her remember to breathe. I was really hoping she had "outgrown" her episodes. It is also upsetting because the doctor wants to get her off the medicine before he decreases her flow on the high flow. In order for her to eat by mouth, her flow has to be decreased, so it is all a chain reaction and this ONE medicine is holding us back, which is quite frustrating.

I am hoping and praying that soon she can move forward the way she needs to. This is a long hard journey and I am ready to be done with this part of it.

1 comment:

Jessica C said...

I hadn't checked Ava's blog in a couple of weeks and, wow, I can't believe how big she has gotten and how much progress she has made! I hope she gets the breathing on her own thing down pat over the weekend so she can start working on the eating thing.