Sunday, August 21, 2011

SO Much to Celebrate!

Last night I had a really amazing night in the NICU, for a few different reasons. I almost don't even know where to start. I guess let's start with the BEST news! Ava had a head ultrasound yesterday morning and I was worried sick about it all day long. Her first head ultrasound came back showing some bright spots on her brain, which I was informed could be normal, or it could be a sign of Periventricular Leukomalacia (PVL). Obviously, as a mom, I instantly think the worst, so I was terrified. I almost didn't even want to know the results from this most recent head ultrasound, but I am glad I asked because it came back COMPLETELY NORMAL! Praise the Lord!

The next best news is that Ava weighed in last night at THREE POUNDS! And not just three pounds, but three pounds and one ounce! I was so excited to see those numbers when we weighed her. Three pounds was such a huge milestone for Travis. He was over 2 and a half months old before he got to three pounds, so it is pretty exciting to see Ava get there in just one month.

I have to say, I am so very thankful for nurses who not only take great care of my daughter, but who truly, genuinely care about ME as well. Ava has a nurse who is absolutely amazing. She is so caring and sweet and she even sends me pictures on my phone in the middle of the night! Talk about awesome! Last night she sat and talked with me for a long time. I bascially poured my heart out to her and she listened and gave advice. I told her how hard this is and how angry I get that I am doing it again. Usually, I just put on a smile and when the nurses ask how I am, I tell them I am "pretty good". But last night, I was able to talk about how I REALLY feel, and if nothing else, it was just nice to be able to get that out. She was very encouraging and had some great things to say. It really is nurses like that who make the NICU experience a little more bearable.

Ava has a little neighbor in the NICU who was a 26 weeker. He is a little over a week old now and I have been wanting to reach out to his parents for a few days now. I know how challenging and isolating the NICU is. Especially when you don't know what to expect. As I was leaving the NICU last night, I ran into them in the hallway and was finally able to reach out to them. We talked for a while and exchanged phone numbers and emails. I truly hope that it helps them to know they are not alone in this and that these little babies can grow up to be amazing, crazy, hyper kids like Travis!





1 comment:

Jim's Mom said...

It makes such a difference to have a friend in the NICU, so I'm really glad for both your sakes that you were able to reach out to that other family!